Sunday, September 5, 2010

Appendix N from The DMG

Listed is the Appendix N from the 1st edition Dungeon Master Guide by Gary Gygax. Note some titles are in italics while others are in bold type while some are in both. These are added by me and are explained below. Dates are added by myself and are for my own reference.

Poul Anderson: "Three Hearts and Three Lions" (1961), "The High Crusade" (1960), "The Broken Sword" (1954)

John Bellairs: "The Face in the Frost" (1969)

Leigh Brackett (as early as 1943 to as late as 1971, but I believe most of her works were written prior to LOTR, but I will have to check my facts on that).

Fredric Brown (~ 1941 to 1963)

Edgar Rice Burroughs: "Pellucidar" Series (1922 -1941), Mars Series (1917 -1941), Venus Series (1934 - 1946)

Lin Carter: "World's End" Series (1969 - 1978)

L. Sprague de Camp: "Lest Darkness Fall" (1941), "Fallible Fiiend" (1973), et al. (many pre- 1966 works).

de Camp & Pratt: "Harold Shea" Series (1941 - 1953), "Carnelian Cube" (1948)

August Derleth (~1934 to 1961)

Lord Dunsany (~1915 - 1957)

P.J. Farmer: "The World of the Tiers" Series (begun in 1965, so I'll let it stand), et al. (many pre-1966 works)

Gardner Fox: "Kothar" Series (begun 1969), "Kyrik" Series (begun 1975), et al. (five works written prior to 1966)

R.E. Howard: "Conan" Series (Howard killed himself in 1936).

Sterling Lanier: "Hiero's Journey" (begun 1973).

Fritz Leiber: "Fafhrd & Grey Mouser" Series, et al. (F.L. published his first Fafhrd and Grey Mouser story in 1939 and continued publishing those and many other stories until his death in 1992; I've read enough of his literature to say without a doubt he didn't become a Tolkien imitator after the publication of any of Tolkien's works).

H.P. Lovecraft (died in 1937).

A. Merritt: "Creep, Shadow, Creep", "Moon Pool", "Dwellers in the Mirage", et al. (He died in 1943).

Michael Moorcock: "Stormbringer", "Stealer of Souls", "Hawkmoon" Series (esp. the first three books). M.M. will take further thought and investigation. He published his first Elric tale in 1961. I've read enough of his literature to say that despite the fact he no doubt has read Tolkien, I don't believe it influenced him, but I will leave his name un-bolded for now.

Andre Norton (A.N. published as early as 1934 and was with us until 2005. While I have read some A.N., I have not read enough to make an informed opinion. For now, she is off the list).

Andrew J. Offutt, editor: "Swords Against Darkness III" (1978)

Fletcher Pratt: "Blue Star", et al. (Died 1956).

Fred Saberhagen: "Changeling Earth" (1973), et al. (some pre - 1966 work, but not much).

Margaret St. Clair: "The Shadow People" (1969), "Sign of the Labrys" (1963). Note, most of her major works were prior to 1966.

J.R.R. Tolkien: "The Hobbit", "Ring Trilogy"

Jack Vance: "The Eyes of the Overworld" (1966, however part of a series started in 1950), "The Dying Earth" (begun 1950), et al. Luckily, Mr. Vance is still with us as of the writing of this list. He began publishing in 1950.

Stanley Weinbaum (died 1935).

Manly Wade Wellman (began publishing in 1927).

Jack Williamson (began publishing in 1928).

Roger Zelazny: "Jack of Shadows", "Amber" Series, et al. (most of his work was published from 1970 onwards, but I have to say there is a definite lack of Tolkien influence in his works).

The appendix notes that de Camp & Pratt, REH, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, HPL, A. Merritt had particularly significant input to the game.

The italics are added by myself and denote those authors/works I have read to date. While I'm sure I have read more then listed here, I have not seriously read fantasy for a number of years, so in some cases (such as de Camp and Burroughs) I left them listed as unread. What I find embarrassing is my essential geek reading is lacking. In a previous post, I stated that I was going to put together my own Appendix N, but before doing so, I wanted to read G.G.'s list, with particular preference given to de Camp, Pratt, REH, Leiber, Vance, HPL and A. Merritt, for Gygax noted that those authors in particular had helped shape the face of Dungeons and Dragons. Now of the big "seven", I have read three, in the case of Howard and Lovecraft, I have read extensively.

I still intend to finish the original Appendix N, but do to my growing interest in all literature "pre-Tolkien" I am giving particular attention to all literature written prior to 1966. Just about any Tolkienite can guess why I chose 1966. While JRRT published The Hobbit in 1937 (Britain - it was released in America in 1938), it was The Lord of the Rings which made him famous. While LOTR was first published in hardback in 1954-55 (again in Britain, The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers were published in 1954, The Return of the King was released in 1955. Rights for publication in America were sold in 1957), it was not until Ace came out with their pirated paper backs in the states in 1965, and Ballantine released the "official" paperbacks in 1966 that the trilogy set fire to the fantasy reading community.

Now Gygax did not name JRRT as one of the big seven; however, do to public opinion, Dungeons & Dragons and JRRT are linked in the minds eye. This is not my larger reason for concentrating on fantasy literature pre-1966, my main reason is the publication of the Ballantine paperbacks in 1966 forever changed the face of fantasy literature. In my opinion, not for the better.

Thus, the bold authors/titles are those works that were published prior to 1966, and are at the top of my Appendix N. It is not always easy to make the call as to who is on the list, versus who is off. Not to mention, Gygax made no attempt to separate science fiction from fantasy. If he liked it and it influenced him, then it made his list. Sometimes on my part, authors/works are included due to my ignorance of their work. Hopefully I can revise this after becoming better well read.

No doubt, many would disagree with the decisions I've made. After a bit more research, I plan on revising this into my own Appendix N. Right now I am still sampling and unable to make an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment