Saturday, January 29, 2011

So I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out...

As the saying goes, last night it was very true. I've been an Anchorage Aces fan for about 10 years now. I'll admit, I knew very little about hockey until I moved to a hockey town. Now, it rivals football for my sports viewing pleasure. I watch NHL as well, but my favourite venue for watching hockey is live with my very own Anchorage Aces.

The Aces are a minor league team and are members of the ECHL (Eastern Conference Hockey League). Our biggest rivalry is with the Bakersfield Condors, and that is who we played last night, and tonight and tomorrow night.

Whenever we face the Condors, it is a guaranteed grudge match. Last night was no exception to the rule; actually, I take that back as there were an exceptional number of fights. In the end we won with a pulse pounding, edge of your seat, screaming your lungs out score of 5 to 4.

As soon as the clock hit zero at the end of third period, a massive bench clearing brawl broke out that lasted at least three minutes. The refs even received a couple pot shots, and gave a few themselves. Hell, one of the Condors even tried to call out the Aces' coach onto the ice!

I'm not sure what the fall out will be, but I wish I could be there to see it tonight; however, I have a fund raising function to go to for a dear friend whose life we are trying to save.

The NFL Probowl means nothing to me, but game three of Aces vs Condors, well, I can't wait!

GO ACES!

CONDORS SUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment